Rutgers - Science Summer Abroad 2010
Nine Science Undergraduate Students Around the World

Thursday, June 17, 2010

My first post - still in the states, but not for long!

As I sit here and pack up the last of what I will need for a month long journey away from home, it is hard to believe that in about 12 hours I will be embarking on the most amazing trip of my life, to a country literally on the other side of the world; Australia! My Mom always told me no matter where I go or end up I am only a plane or car ride away if I ever needed her. Well, Mom, this plane ride will be a total of 24 hours and 3 different planes! My flight is from JFK to LAX to Brisbane, Australia to Cairns, Australia, which is where my program is - right on the coast of beautiful waters and on the edge of a tropical rain forest. Yes, those plane rides are going to be brutal, but who can complain about ending up on a beach only a short boat ride from the Great Barrier Reef or a short car ride to the tropical rain forest to hold a baby koala?! I am going to an unknown country with people that I don't know, yet I am still so surprisingly eager to see what awaits me. I have no idea what to expect but I do expect to be speechless a good amount of times on this trip. Not only will I be seeing and experiencing so many new and unbelievable things, but I am going to be able to learn things that I can take home with me, specifically regarding sustainable environments. My number one goal in life is to somehow make an impact on this planet that we are living on (in a good way of course!) and I think that this program and traveling to Australia is going to be a great way to help me do so.

More posts to come soon!

G'day Mates!

No comments:

Post a Comment