Rutgers - Science Summer Abroad 2010
Nine Science Undergraduate Students Around the World

Saturday, June 19, 2010

A day with a Maasai Family: Post by Kai

Due to Kai's limited internet access in Africa, he has asked me to post the below blog.

Today I spent the morning and early afternoon living with a Maasai family. I was dropped off and was immediately immersed in their morning ritual. I herded cows, sheep, and goats, helped chase away baboons that were going to raid their crops, and chopped firewood for cooking tea and traditional Maasai dishes. The food was delicious. The cultural differences were striking. The boy taking me around his farm was named Samuel, and when I told him that in America men also cook, he looked like he was going to have a heart attack. He also was speechless when I told him that in America most of our cows are raised on giant farms where there are often thousands owned by the same farm. In Kenya a man is rich if he has ten cows, so thousands to Samuel was unthinkable. After I send this blog out I will be heading to a local preschool to distribute children’s books that we brought from the USA, and we will be giving them a lesson on brushing teeth…and giving them candy afterwards. Ironic yes, but I’m sure they’ll enjoy it!

No comments:

Post a Comment