Rutgers - Science Summer Abroad 2010
Nine Science Undergraduate Students Around the World

Sunday, July 25, 2010

The Beauty of Nature





Most people visit Botswana, not to study public health or HIV/AIDS, but to explore the natural beauty of the country. So I have decided that this post will be dedicated to the incredible sights and sounds of nature. Last weekend in Botswana presented the perfect opportunity to travel as Sir Seretse Khama (Botswana's 1st president) Day and a Public Holiday extended the weekend to 4 days. So some of my friends and I took an overnight bus from Gaborone to...

Livingstone, Zambia. Why Zambia? Because of Victoria Falls, what many consider to be one of the seven Natural Wonders of the World. The city of Livingstone, which happens to be right next to the Falls, is named after the famous explorer David Livingstone. The famous phrase "Dr. Livingstone, I presume?" originated when explorer HM Stanley set out to look for Livingstone, uttering the phrase upon finding him. To be fair, there are no words that can do any justice to Victoria Falls. Even pictures fail to capture their full beauty, excitement, and power. Even though this is currently the dry season, the amount of water flowing over the falls and the resulting landscape left me speechless. When venturing close to the falls, I decided not to purchase or rent a poncho (if anyone hates getting wet, I highly suggest renting one). A minute later, I was completely soaked. At least I can say I have taken a bath in Victoria Falls. During my stay, I also took a beautiful sunset cruise down the Zambezi (the river that flows over the Falls) and, I still can't even believe this, bungee jumped with the beauty of the falls behind me. While I am terrified of roller coasters, bungee jumping was an entirely different feeling, which actually makes me want to skydive. But that's for another adventure.

During the long weekend, I also took a safari in Chobe National Park located in northern Botswana. Chobe is famous for its large elephant population, which I was lucky enough to experience. I was amazed to see a herd of about 20 elephants slowly walk from the distance, up to, and then directly past our vehicle (and just out of arm's reach!) to get to the Chobe river for water. The beauty of these enormous animals moving so gracefully was unbelievable. Overall, the weekend was amazing and unforgettable.

Ga gona mathata (there are no problems aka life is good)

PS. I have uploaded pictures for this post. My previous posts should soon have pictures accompanying them as well.

Top: Sunset on the Zambezi
2: Victoria Falls with the spray from the Falls creating a rainbow
3: Elephants in Chobe
4: Leopard sighting in Chobe

No comments:

Post a Comment